The Privacy Act 1993
We are bound by the Privacy Act 1993 (the Act). The Act sets out the way in which we may collect, use, keep, secure and disclose your personal information.
Collection of your personal information
We collect certain items of personal information from you to allow us to deliver electricity services to you. The collection of this personal information also allows us to contact you in relation to your electricity supply when necessary.
When a customer or a customer's electricity retailer, registered electrical contractor or other relevant party requests a service from us (e.g. to obtain a connection or supply of electricity), we collect some or all of the following personal information from customers:
- postal address;
- telephone number;
- address of premises at which our service is provided; and
- type of service requested.
At times, we may also collect records of a customer's electricity consumption, and if applicable, a customer's electricity load profile.
When you visit our site, we may also collect general user information such as your internet protocol address, browser type and internet service provider details. We use this information to administer the site and to gain a better understanding of our users.
Use of your personal information
In general, we may use your personal information for one or more of the following purposes:
- to identify our customers;
- to provide and improve services to our customers;
- to maintain services provided to our customers;
- to consider applications for employment; and
- to comply with our legal obligations.
We may use your personal information for management or statistical purposes. On these occasions we will use the data to analyse and examine trends and demographics to help us offer you improved services. Data will be aggregated and all personal information will be de-identified so you are not personally identified.
We will not use your personal information other than as set out above unless we have your express consent, or unless we believe on reasonable grounds that disclosure is necessary:
- to prevent a serious and imminent threat to public health or public safety;
- for the protection of the public revenue;
- for the conduct of proceedings before any court or tribunal (being proceedings that have been commenced or are reasonably in contemplation);
- for the enforcement of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty; or
- to avoid prejudice to the maintenance of the law by any public sector agency, including the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution, and punishment of offences.
Protection of your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that all information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. We may store your personal information on computer databases and/or in hard copy and we will take all reasonable steps to ensure the safe security and privacy of your personal information.
We will also take reasonable measures to ensure your personal information is protected from unauthorised access and misuse. However, due to the nature of email and the internet, we cannot guarantee the privacy or confidentiality of your personal information.
Your rights of access to personal information we hold about you
Under the Act, you have the right to access and correct your personal information. You can therefore request us to provide you with access to your personal information. We will comply with any request to access the personal information held to the extent required by the Act. There is no fee for making such a request, however we may charge you a reasonable fee for providing this access. We will endeavour to respond to your request within 14 days.
You can access or modify the personal information you have provided to us by calling Wellington Electricity Lines Limited on (04) 915 6100
Exceptions to the requirement for us to provide you with access to your personal information are set out in the Act, but amongst others include:
- where providing access will endanger the safety of an individual or involve the unwarranted disclosure of the affairs of another individual;
- where the information does not exist or cannot be found; or
- where providing access would prejudice the maintenance of the law, including the prevention, investigation and detection of offences, and the right to a fair trial.
If we do not allow you to access your personal information, we will provide you with the reasons for our decision. If so, we will provide you with information concerning your right to seek an investigation and review of the refusal.
We may change this policy at any time. Any amended policy will be posted on the site and will be effective from that date that it is posted. By continuing to use the site, you will be deemed to have accepted the amended policy.
How to contact us
By calling Wellington Electricity Lines Limited on (04) 915 6100:
- make a complaint if you believe that your personal privacy has been breached;
- obtain more information about the way we manage personal information that we hold; and
- request access to personal information we hold about you.
For further privacy information, please refer to the New Zealand Privacy Commissioner's website (http://www.privacy.org.nz/)